Bipolar disorder

Bipolar disorder can be a very difficult basis for Social Security Disability entitlement because many mental health providers find it to be a treatable condition. For bipolar disorder to be disabling under Social Security regulations, there must be evidence of both manic and depressive symptoms. In other words, there must be clinical proof of both significant highs and significant lows. Another factor the Administration will consider is the claimant's response to medication. If the prescribed medication is controlling the bipolar symptoms, it is unlikely that the Administration will deem this person disabled. It is important that an individual treating for bipolar see a psychologist and a psychiatrist on a regular basis. It is equally important that a claimant with bipolar ensures their manic and depressive episodes are recorded.

All Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income determinations are based on medical documentation. It is important that your condition and treatment is thoroughly documented in the form of medical records, clinical evaluations, and narrative reports from your treating physicians. If you do not treat with a doctor, or your doctor is not supportive, your lawyer will not be able to prove your case, regardless of how sick you truly are. Our goal is that you, your doctors and our attorneys can form the winning team to ensure that your pursuit for Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income benefits is successful.

At West Coast Disability Legal Center, our experienced attorneys guide people through each step of the Social Security Disability claims process. We can file your initial claim, appeal your claim to the reconsideration level if you are denied, request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge, or appeal your case to the Appeals Council. To talk with us about your case, please call us at (800) 459-3017 to schedule a free consultation. You can also contact us online and one of our attorneys will get in touch with you. There is never a fee for our services unless we win your case.